Saturday, June 5, 2010

Life With Dog As Training Partner: Eat Your Colors

When I decided to do this Project Happiness: Life with Dog as Training Partner, I had it all planned in my head as usual.... I was going to make this the perfect blog yet. So of course, same thing happened. I’m trying to come up with the perfect post.

And then I realized, that is what this is all about. I’m good at things when I just jump in. Most people are. You are too. It’s an old habit I have. Especially about something that I want to become really good at.

I’ve always been one of those people that jumps in and sets out to be the best I can be in things. And because of that fact, as life has gone on, I’ve gotten good at fewer things because I want to be make it perfect to start out with.

How many times does one need to jump in and learn the lesson? The best time to start being good at what you want to be good at is by starting with something and moving forward with it every day.

So here it is. Where I am today on Project Happiness: Life with Dog As Training Partner.

One of my Seven Personal Things is Eat Good Food. It’s something that I’ve told myself I do a good job at most of the time. And the truth be known when I started keeping a food journal, or at least continuing to be very mindful of what I was eating, I realized that ate pretty much crap most of the time.

I read a book call Food Rules which absolutely rocked. I highly recommend it. It makes knowing what to eat easy and almost fun.

So once again I have found myself ordering a big cheeseburger with fries more than once in the last few days. Seriously? This goes in the category Eat Good Food? No. It’s just an old habit.

It’s amazing how one really needs to focus on what you want and how making a conscious choice can change so much about how you feel. I picked up Food Rules again and the rule that came to me was Eat Your Colors. Today, I had butternut squash soap and added chopped up fresh broccoli. It was actually really good and made me feel better immediately. What’s so hard about that? Nothing really so I’m already planning the next good-for-me meal.

And once again the book Food Rules which has these simple rules that are usually a short page to read got me seriously motivated again. (That’s what this article is meant to do for you too!)

Heading to the Farmer’s Market tomorrow. Going to get more colors of vegetables and fruit to add to my Eat Good Food.


Life with Dog

This Eat Good Food thing got me thinking about what color food dogs eat. I write about healthy dog food all the time and get some interesting responses from people. Yesterday one came in where this women didn’t think it was a good idea to recommend different food to dog owners, especially those who have dogs that easily get stomach upset from a change in food.

Oh my. Wasn’t that the point? Poor dogs eat the same preservative laden food every single day. The only color they might get is the artificial dies some of the big pet food companies put in the chunks of kibble designed to look “beneful”, but are really a product of... uh.... down right gross nasty ingredients designed for profit.

Back to Eat Your Colors for the dogs too.... lots of research later I feed them a healthy dry kibble and add things to it that are good for the dog too. Today’s color for the dogs.... a little squash soup with some broccoli dribbled over the kibble. They are happy. And they are healthy. *Note not all the food we humans eat are good for the dog so do your research there as well... for instance, grapes can be deadly for dogs.

Start your own Project Happiness: Life with Dog as Training Partner by signing up for the Healthy Living Wag Report.

Dogs are the greatest on earth for keeping a smile on their face and a wag of the tail going. Follow along and keep updated on ways to get out and have fun with your dog, your life, your health and your happiness by signing up for the Healthy Living Wag Report!

Wag More!

©Jt Clough & K9 Coach Inc, 2010

No comments: