Friday, June 18, 2010

Stretching Out of the Uncomfortable & Wagging More

As I move along through another day of Project Happiness Life with Dog As Training Partner I’m finding some very cool things about what people who are happy practice.  Studies have shown one of those things is learning something new or doing anything new.

The problem with most people and learning something new or doing something new is....
usually at first it’s uncomfortable.

That’s why it is easy to do what we already know, what is easy and comfortable, even if it is something that doesn’t make us that happy anymore.  Doing something new is uncomfortable in mental, emotional and physical ways.  Finding somehow to practice new things in each of those areas is a sure fire way to feeling happier just after you break through the uncomfortable!

Barefoot & Paws

The analogy of feeling uncomfortable to get to a place where I want to be was alive and real in my feet this morning as I ran the West Rim Trail in my Vibram Five Fingers... or what I like to refer to them as... my barefoot shoes.

The dogs and their paws and me and my barefoot shoes headed on down the trail... and I was comfortable for about 45 minutes.  That’s when it started to become a bit of work.  The reading and studying I have been doing about barefoot running is all true.  It does take some time to build up to.... and it might be uncomfortable at times to change.... but already I see the benefit of sticking with it.

It’s a definite way to learn how to re-train yourself.  And  breaking old habits in exchange for new habits is really about re-training your brain and your body to adapt.  In the process happiness happens.  In this case I feel like I’m becoming nimble again.  Like a little kid.  It does make me want to stay moving and I’m moving faster... and more it’s more fun

But yeah... I was out there and for the last 30 minutes its started to be uncomfortable.  I could feel the rocks more, the pads of my feet felt hot... a bit burny.  Getting through uncomfortable.  That’s what I stuck with on my 90 minute run walk, at least for the last 30 minutes.

Running with the dogs and seeing how nimble and graceful and full of joy they are when they run... that’s what I’m heading towards and it is fun in the process.  Getting myself through the uncomfortable is well on it’s way.  My 10 year achilles injury that’s already much better even while I’m adding running miles is proof that when you stretch yourself a little more you get good at something new.  The brain feels happier.  The body feels happier.

Stretching the Dog’s Training


Dogs don’t have the preconceived idea that they should feel stupid or uncomfortable when doing something new.  The problem with most dogs is that their owners aren’t understanding or taking the time to show them what to do to master urban ways of getting around.

When a dog wants to stay by your side, wait for you when you stop for a minute, come back to you when off running in their nimble pawed style on a trail with “let’s go”.... or leave another dog’s ball at dog beach...... training has happened.  The only way to get there is to do it all the time.  And for you that could be uncomfortable at times while the process of learning something new for your dog happens.  The dog on the other hand will keep on trying if you are wiling to show him new ways, all the while developing more of a reason to wag.


Once those things are mastered dog’s don’t have a problem with a new idea, a new game, or a new place to go.  They adapt.  They use their paws on the sand, the rocky trail, or the paved sidewalk without complaining about uncomfortable.  Dogs don’t go through thoughts like “can’t”, “it hurts too much”, “it’s uncomfortable”..... they for the most part give a wag... and move through whatever it is to the fun side of it all without a thought that doing nothing is a better option.

Dogs I work with really do start wagging more when they get shown how to do these things... I just usually have to get them over the issue of not being shown correctly in the first place...  usually shows up in “fear aggression” or “leash aggression”, or “dog aggression”....

hmmmm... interesting.  Isn’t that the exact same anger that comes out usually as fear in people’s lives.  From anger at a parent to a bad situation at work most people are acting out of fear because they don’t feel like they have gotten what they wanted.... they haven’t been shown, they aren’t comfortable with the situation... and it stops them from feeling happy.  In fact anger, frustration and stress are what appear... like the dog’s behavior... not that nice to feel or be around really and it takes some re-trainig to get out of it.

Once the realization... practicing with the mind on what you can do, what makes you happy... what new thing you’re into to look forward to... like barefoot running, taking the dog the beach... all those things that matter if you do them every day or every once in a while.....

Stretch to the Uncomfortable and know that you can get where you want to be from where you are now.

Get ready for your own Project Happiness Dog as Training Partner by subscribing to the Healthy Living Wag Report... motivation, ideas, dog training, health, fitness... all for you to enjoy.  It starts with a thought...  and if you like this article in any way shape or form... Please retweet using the green button!
Wag!

No comments: